<$BlogRSDUrl$>

This rant is from the multiple political ideologies that live inside my head. They need a place to come out and play. (In a politically offensive way) Entry into this space is not advised!

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Life, War, Religion and Blogging

The start of the current Iraq war could probably be listed as one of my prime motives for getting involved with the blogging community.

At the start of the ground war everyone in the office was giving themselves "high-fives". I ,on the other hand, sat down in my office; put my head in my hands and thought, "they have no idea the train wreck that is coming".

When I went to talk to my evangelical Baptist friends I was stunned by their reaction. They were incredibly ok with killing. They were so ok with it I was flabbergasted. I'm an agnostic; I'm allowed to be pragmatic about taking a life. They are supposed to be the paragons of virtue and turning the other cheek. They started quoting the Old Testament. To which I responded, "Are you Jewish or Christian? Show me something in the New Testament that supports the use of violence."

In the end I gave up trying to get them to turn the other cheek, and decide to expound on how I try to live my life. (Please note that this is something I am striving to achieve. I am not a saint, nor will anyone ever mistake me for one.)

Never in anger.
Never out of fear.
Never with hubris.
Always with compassion and respect.

The battle between light and darkness has always been an internal struggle.
At its core is the reality that we are mortal and wish to survive.
We need food, water and shelter.

But life is full of uncertainty and struggle.
Resources are limited. Competition is the norm.
Even the most enlightened individual will do evil when faced with starvation.

We must never deny that this struggle can cloud our judgment.
We must make a conscious decision to fight on the side of light.
While acknowledging that darkness may hold sway, till after the deed is done.

When you stop questioning your own motives you have lost the struggle.
When you act with absolute certainty and righteousness you have gone astray.
Decision must be made, but always acknowledge your fallibility and correct your own mistakes.

We have all done things we are ashamed of.
We have all done things we are proud of.
But has your existence made the world a better place?

More importantly, do your neighbors think your existence has made the world a better place?
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?